I’ve mentioned on numerous occasions that I am living a Paleo lifestyle which for me means 80% of the time I eat strictly paleo and the other 20 percent anything goes (within reason). Since I’ve been home from traveling over the past couple of weeks, I have not gone food shopping which put a little chink in my paleo armor. Luckily I had food that I’d prepared before I left and was able to eat that and on Monday I stopped into Whole Foods and purchased food that I nibbled on for a couple of days. But now, it is time to get back to cooking and although I still need to go food shopping, I have enough food to cook a little something. Today, that something is Sweet potato burgers.
I scoured the internet looking for a recipe that did not call for white beans and I came up with naught. Beans are not part of the paleo diet and for a few minutes I considered just using the white beans in my cupboard but then thought to myself, why not be creative? So, I took it upon myself to concoct my own recipe! I needed a substitute for the beans which I assume are needed for additional protein and crunchiness. Nuts seem like a good substitute but sadly I am all out of almonds, my favorite but I had walnuts so decided to use them.
Using my food processor I did a course chop. I wanted the crunch that would come from a panko breading on the outside but if you don’t like crunchy you can just finely grind the nuts you use. I added the nuts to the cooked sweet potato mashed the two together. I then added an egg for additional protein and as a binder.
Many of the recipes I reviewed added Tahini to the mix. Tahini packs a powerful protein punch and has 18 grams in a two tablespoon serving so I added that to my burgers and various spices too!
A variety of spices.
I also added a teaspoon of butter just for some additional flavor. I mixed all of the ingredients very throughly and then formed the mixture into five patties. This was very easy to do, the patties binded well and I placed them on a cooking sheet covered with wax paper.
Paleo Sweet Potato Burgers
1 medium cooked sweet potato (I pierced mine with a fork and cooked in microwave for 6 minutes)
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons Tahini
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop cooked sweet potato out of skin and place in medium sized bowl. Place walnuts (or whichever nut you favor) in food processor and coarsely chop, add to sweet potato. Add coconut flour, egg, spices and tahini. Mix well. Form into patties and place on wax paper on cookie sheet. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and Enjoy!